Imuran tablets contain the active substance azathioprine. They belong to a group of medicines called immunosuppressives. This means that they reduce the strength of your immune system.
Imuran Tablets may be used to help your body accept an organ transplant, such as a new kidney, heart or liver, or to treat some diseases where your immune system is reacting against your own body (autoimmune diseases).
Autoimmune diseases may include:
- severe rheumatoid arthritis (a disease where the immune system attacks cells lining the joints causing swelling, pain, stiffness of the joints),
- systemic lupus erythematosus (a disease where the immune system attacks many of the body’s organs and tissues, including skin, joints, kidneys, brain, and other organs causing severe fatigue, fever, stiffness and joint pain),
- dermatomyositis and polymyositis (a group of diseases causing inflammation of the muscles, muscle weakness and skin rash),
- auto-immune chronic active hepatitis (a disease in which the immune system attacks liver cells causing liver inflammation, fatigue, muscle aches, yellowing of the skin and fever),
- pemphigus vulgaris (a disease in which the immune system attacks skin cells causing severe blistering of the skin, mouth, nose, throat and genitals),
- polyarteritis nodosa (a rare disease that causes inflammation of the blood vessels),
- auto-immune haemolytic anaemia (a serious blood disorder where the body destroys red blood cells quicker than it can produce them, with symptoms of weakness and shortness of breath),
- chronic refractory idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (a condition with low platelet counts, that can cause easy or excessive bruising and bleeding).
Imuran Tablets may also be used to treat inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis).
Your doctor has chosen this medicine to suit you and your condition.
Imuran Tablets may be used on its own, but it is more often used in combination with other medicines
لا توجد مراجعات بعد.